I thought I'd check out the employment market. It looked surprisingly buoyant all things considered.

It's been a while since I last worked for someone else and if lockdown has taught me anything, it's that I miss the office banter and the teamwork that I used to enjoy in a traditional workplace. This may of course just be those rose-tinted specs interfering.

Being freelance ( or working from home ) casts you adrift on a sea of loneliness and it's been interesting to hear people who've been forced to work at home admit this. For me, a form of professional self-isolation has been the norm for over a decade.

The trouble is, I don't think I understand what jobs are anymore. Anything ending in 'er' is OK - manager, carer, teacher, broadcaster etc but it looks like a lot has happened to job descriptions since I last looked. What started as a bit of curious, half-hearted online investigation gave me a full-on hour of hilarity.

I'm wondering if you or your listeners have any idea about the following. Of the 32, 497 roles available these were my favourites ;

Cloud Risk Manager - chances of rain analyst perhaps ?

Mobile Migration Manager - Lost property for iPhones ?

Third in Charge - that's all it said. You'd need to know who was 1st and 2nd in charge and how far down the pecking order it goes. Would anyone apply for 9th in charge ?

Bank Waking Support Worker - you'd have to be careful how you pronounce this one ! I got it wrong.

DNO-Warhead Nuclear Threat Reduction Programme Manager - if you had to work from home, do you get your very own Nuclear red button fitted on your desk at home ?

Tinies Application Support Assistant - Intriguing

GIS analyst - sorry, it's just getting rude now .




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 23rd 2023 - Day One in the House

Advice for young women contemplating marriage