You would think ....

... that I would have become used to our empty nest given that youngest went to Uni last Autumn . I'm not sure I ever will. The sadness ebbs and flows like the sea , often gathering energy like a tidal wave that overwhelms me at times. My motivational wristband says go with the flow but I haven't mastered the art yet.

I could put it down to age. It doesn't allow me to handle change as well as I used to in my youth or I could attribute it to the 'hole' in my aura which a whacky healer once told me I possessed which apparently compels me to look after everybody else but then that's just called parenting isn't it ?

No amount of displacement therapy, otherwise know as signing up for a batch of adult education classes , fleeting bouts of wellness activity such as early morning swimming or de-cluttering frenzies , can dispel the strange little cloud of sadness that accompanies me everywhere.

The academic year has finished and he'll be home for the holidays, in theory, very soon, apart from a holiday away with mates and the bar work he's lined up to top up his student funds. The 'floordrobe' will be pressed into action again, the fridge will empty itself on a daily basis and the Xbox gaming will re-commence with vigour. But it's not the same and it never will be. Life moves on. I just need to learn to keep up with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 23rd 2023 - Day One in the House

Advice for young women contemplating marriage